Monday, March 21, 2011

My Artist Statement

I entitled my piece “See past my shades…I dare you” as a bold statement to the audience that there is always more than meets the eye to every individual. Empowered by two cultures, represented by the American and Mexican flag in the background, I look forward to my past, present, and future that are depicted by the images in my sunglasses (the shape and style of the glasses are the same as the ones I utilized in Rome). On the left lens I have drawings of books and students confined by a metal fence. Next to the fence is an image of metal pliers, symbolism of my attempt to overcome borders that exist within education and any outsider who is striving to obtain it. On the right lens I have images of Rome as a city in the shadow of religion and tradition, where it’s not too certain about its future. I decided to leave the color of my face blank, as justice is color blind. The image of the serpent on the right hand side is to symbolize the vivid snake that Fatima saw at the foot of her bed the morning after she returned to her home country. Although a scary image, the serpent is a reminder that no matter how far or how long we attempt to escape our past, our identity, we will always return to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment